Skip to main content


Video: How to make a complaint with the TIO

Make a complaint

If you’ve already tried to resolve your phone or internet complaints with your provider, you can make a complaint with us. Our process helps support residents and small businesses to settle disputes fairly. 

The Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman’s (TIO) focus in providing dispute resolution services is to manage cases fairly and independently. We treat everyone with respect, honesty and courtesy and we ask that you do the same for us. For more information, please read our Engagement Charter which outlines our commitment to users of our service, setting expectations and obligations that apply. 

TIO has a zero-tolerance policy on aggression and violence towards its employees. Our people work hard to support you and have the right to a safe workplace free from abuse, aggression and violence. 

You can also make a complaint via:


Call us on 1800 062 058

  • We are available 8.00am – 8.00pm Monday to Friday, AEST.
  • Calls are free from landlines (but standard rates apply for calls from mobiles).
  • If you call from a mobile you can ask us to call you back.

Email, Fax, or Post

Download and complete our complaints form, then email, fax, or post.

  • Email your completed complaints form to our complaint handling inbox.
  • Fax your completed complaints form (or a letter) to 1800 630 614.
  • Post your completed complaints form to PO Box 276, Collins Street West, VIC 8007

*Optus data breach: If you have a complaint about the Optus data breach, read more information here.

Are you vulnerable or at risk and in need of urgent help?

Help is available for vulnerable people or small businesses at risk who have already tried to resolve their problem with their phone or internet provider.

Have you been impacted by a natural disaster?

Help is available to people and small businesses impacted by natural disasters who have unresolved phone and internet problems.

Do you need a language interpreter?

If you need an interpreter, call us on 1800 062 058 and we'll get one for you, or you can call the Translating and Interpreting Service on 131 450.

Do you need an Auslan interpreter?

If you are deaf, hard of hearing or use Auslan to communicate, you can book an appointment with us. Please request a call through our Auslan Video Remote Interpreting service, and we will contact you with an Auslan interpreter using Microsoft Teams. 

Do you need the National Relay Service? 

If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or have a speech impairment, you can also contact us through the National Relay Service (NRS) on 1800 555 677. Tell the NRS operator to call the TIO on 1800 062 058.

Who we can help

If you’re a residential consumer or small business customer, or an account holder, we can help you with your complaint.

Find out who we can help

What we can help with

Find out which complaints we are able to help you with.

Learn about what we can help with

What to expect

Get familiar with the complaints process and what to expect when you make a complaint.

Learn about our complaints process

Making a complaint for someone else

If you know someone who needs to make a complaint you can make a complaint on their behalf.

Find out how to make a complaint for someone else