Make a complaint
If you’re a residential consumer or small business and you’ve already tried to resolve your complaint with your telecommunications provider, you can make a complaint to us. If you have not tried to resolve your complaint with your provider, you can find their contact details by searching our providers list.
If you make a complaint online, we’ll usually process it on the same day.
Before you contact us
Before you contact us with your complaint, it’s a good idea to:
- be clear on the reasons for your complaint
- make sure you have already tried to resolve your complaint with your provider
- have relevant information handy, such as dates of events and names of people you have spoken to
- think about how you want your provider to resolve your complaint – for example, by fixing the problem or giving you an explanation, apology or compensation.
What happens when you make a complaint
We try to settle disputes quickly, simply and without taking sides.
We send your complaint to your provider
We ask your provider to contact you directly to discuss your complaint and try to resolve it with you. Providers usually have 10 business days to respond to you. Most complaints are resolved this way.
If your complaint isn’t resolved
If your complaint still isn't resolved and it appears simple to resolve, we may try to resolve it quickly with you and your provider. If your complaint is more complex, we will use conciliation or Investigation to gather information and help you and your provider find a resolution.
If you still can’t agree
If you and the provider still can’t agree, we’ll assess how we think the complaint should be resolved. If you or your provider disagree with the assessment, you can ask us to review it. A small number of complaints go to the Ombudsman for a final decision. Providers are bound by the Ombudsman's decisions.
Ways to make a complaint
You can make a complaint:
- online – complete our online form (complaints are usually processed the same day)
- by phone – call us on 1800 062 058
- by post – write a letter or print and fill out the consumer complaint form and send it to: PO Box 276 Collins Street West VIC 8007
- by fax – send your completed consumer complaint form to 1800 630 614
If you need an interpreter, call us on 1800 062 058 and we'll get one for you, or you can call the Translating and Interpreting Service on 131 450.
If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment, you can contact us through the National Relay Service – call the NRS on 1800 555 677 then ask for 1800 062 058
How we manage your privacy
When you make a complaint, we’ll ask for your name and contact details. We might not be able to take your complaint if you don’t give us this information.
To resolve your complaint, we’ll need to share your personal information with your provider. We may also need to share it with government agencies or third parties.
If you give us sensitive information, such as information about your health, you must tell us if you don’t want us to collect or share it with your provider or other people.