What is the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman (TIO)?
The TIO is a free service set up to help people who have been unable to resolve problems with telephone and Internet companies.
However, you must attempt to resolve your complaint with your service provider before calling us.
What we can investigate
The TIO can investigate complaints about mobile, landline and Internet issues that relate to:
- billing (including wrong plans, incorrect charges, late billing)
- problems with mobile subscription text message services (being unable to stop them)
- faults and service quality
- delays in connections
- debt collection activities (including difficulties with payment plans and credit defaults)
- contracts (including unfair or unclear terms).
What we can’t investigate
We can’t investigate complaints about:
- issues that you’ve known about for more than two years before contacting us (in some cases we can extend this to six years)
- government policies about telecommunications
- privately owned telecommunications equipment (including fully-paid-for mobile handsets or computers)
- the content of services such as mobile subscription ring tones or websites
- the prices that companies charge for their services and products
- issues that have been (or are scheduled to go before) a court or tribunal.
If you require an interpreter call 131 450. This service is free. You may also authorise someone to make a complaint to the TIO on your behalf if you are not confident communicating in English.
Contacting the TIO
Free phone: 1800 062 058*
TTY: 1800 675 692
TTY: 1800 675 692
Write to us at:
Free fax: 1800 630 614
Mail: PO Box 276
Collins Street West Vic 8007
*Calls from mobile phones may attract a fee, which will vary depending on your service provider. If you are calling from a mobile phone, let us know and we will call you back.