Industry codes the TIO considers
The Ombudsman has the power to record, resolve, investigate and report on complaints according to the following industry codes:
The Telecommunications Consumer Protections (TCP) Code sets minimum standards on:
- advertising and point of sale information about prices, terms and conditions
- consumer contracts
- customer service
- billing practice and information
- credit management practice, including provision of spend management tools and financial hardship policies for consumers experiencing financial difficulties
- transfer of telecommunications services between providers, and
- complaint handling practice.
The Mobile Premium Services Code C637:2011
Contains minimum standards for the advertising, delivery, billing and handling of complaints about information and entertainment content services delivered to mobile phones. More information:
- Mobile premium services – Information for consumers - ACMA
- Mobile premium services FAQs
- The Mobile Premium Services Code 2012: What you need to know - Communications Alliance
Contains procedures for service providers to ensure that individuals with a diagnosed life threatening medical condition (at risk of rapid deterioration) have continuous access to a standard telephone service.
Contains procedures for carriers and service providers to cooperatively handle threatening or repeated unwelcome communications.
Connect Outstanding C617:2005
Contains procedures for reducing the time it takes to disconnect the service of a previous occupant so that the new occupant of a premises can connect a service.
Mobile Number Portability C570:2009
Contains procedures for transferring (porting) a mobile telephone number between providers.
Local Number Portability C540:2013
Contains procedures for transferring (porting) a local telephone number between providers.
Contains procedures to enable consumers to choose a preferred provider for pre-selectable services, e.g. services accessed via an override code.
Calling Number Display C522:2007
Sets minimum privacy standards for telephone number display and availability of information about calling line identification.