Senior Legal Counsel and Privacy Officer
- Trusted and Respected Brand + competitive remuneration and benefits
- Great opportunity to take your career forward
- 8 years + PAE, work closely with the Executive Team
We are excited to offer you the outstanding opportunity to join the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman as Senior Legal Counsel in the In-House legal team. Experienced In House Counsel are encouraged to apply.
Under the leadership of the Executive Director Shared Services & CFO, the Senior Legal Counsel partners with TIO business areas, project teams and working groups to help achieve business goals.
The role provides expert legal advice, strategic solutions and risk management advice in a commercial context. The Senior Legal Counsel is also the TIO’s Privacy Officer.
- Provide high quality independent legal advice and input on a wide range of issues including privacy compliance, legal issues arising in the course of dispute resolution, human resource issues, litigation, contracts, and risk management.
- Build expertise to advise the Ombudsman and senior TIO staff on legal matters arising in land access cases under Schedule 3 of the Telecommunications Act 1997.
Instruct and liaise with external counsel as required to obtain legal opinions and manage litigation.
- Advise the Ombudsman and TIO leadership on current, new or proposed legislation that impacts TIO activities.
- Support Executive Director Shared Services/ CFO with company secretarial and corporate governance matters.
- Develop the TIO’s In-House legal function and legal staff.
- Lead a positive organisational culture of respect for information privacy and good information handling processes.
Knowledge and Skills
- High level written and verbal communication and presentation skills, including the ability to prepare complex communications and briefing materials.
- Current Victorian Practising Certificate.
- Highly developed influencing and negotiation skills.
- Substantial experience in the application of privacy law, consumer law, dispute resolution and commercial law.
- Experience or knowledge of Telco industry preferred.
- Excellent professionalism, presentation, interpersonal skills.
Position Description: Download the detailed position description and selection criteria for this role.
Enquiries: If you are an experienced lawyer with the ability to construct sound legal defence and proactive strategies as well as providing high quality legal advice to executives and senior management, please do not delay and apply now or alternatively, call David Picking on 03 8600 8357 for a confidential discussion.
Applications close: 5pm, Friday 8th May 2017.