Industry codes the TIO considers
The Ombudsman has the power to record, resolve, investigate and report on complaints according to the following industry codes:
The Telecommunications Consumer Protections (TCP) Code sets minimum standards on:
- advertising and point of sale information about prices, terms and conditions
- consumer contracts
- customer service
- billing practice and information
- credit management practice, including provision of spend management tools and financial hardship policies for consumers experiencing financial difficulties
- transfer of telecommunications services between providers, and
- complaint handling practice.
The Mobile Premium Services Code C637:2011
Contains minimum standards for the advertising, delivery, billing and handling of complaints about information and entertainment content services delivered to mobile phones. More information:
- Mobile premium services – Information for consumers - ACMA
- Mobile premium services FAQs
- The Mobile Premium Services Code 2012: What you need to know - Communications Alliance
Contains procedures for service providers to ensure that individuals with a diagnosed life threatening medical condition (at risk of rapid deterioration) have continuous access to a standard telephone service.
Contains procedures for carriers and service providers to cooperatively handle threatening or repeated unwelcome communications.
Contains procedures for reducing the time it takes to disconnect the service of a previous occupant so that the new occupant of a premises can connect a service.
Mobile Number Portability C570:2009
Contains procedures for transferring (porting) a mobile telephone number between providers.
Local Number Portability C540:2013
Contains procedures for transferring (porting) a local telephone number between providers.
Contains procedures to enable consumers to choose a preferred provider for pre-selectable services, e.g. services accessed via an override code.
Calling Number Display C522:2007
Sets minimum privacy standards for telephone number display and availability of information about calling line identification.