Who can complain?
If you answer "yes" to all the questions in the complaint checklist below, the TIO will usually be able to deal with your complaint:
- Are you a residential consumer or small business?
- Is your complaint about your landline telephone, mobile or internet service, damage to your property or telecommunications equipment?
- Have you already tried to contact your service provider to solve your complaint with them?
- Are you the account holder or have you been authorised to deal with this matter? (See information below on credit repair agencies.)
- Is your complaint less than two years old? (You may also be able to complain if your complaint is between two and six years old, and you have a good reason for not making it before.)
If you are in doubt about whether the TIO can deal with your complaint, contact us.
Value of complaints
If your issue involves more than $100,000, the TIO may still be able to help you resolve your issue but we cannot make a binding decision above the value of $50,000 or any recommendation above the value of $100,000. You may wish to speak with a lawyer if you think this is a better option for you.
Credit repair agencies
Credit repair agencies (also known as credit restoration agencies or CRAs) are businesses that charge consumers to attempt to remove credit defaults. The consumer may have a "contract" with the agency even if it is not successful in getting the default removed. Credit repair agencies often submit complaints to the TIO on their clients' behalf. However, the TIO is a free service for consumers and it can help them resolve complaints directly with their providers.
Factsheets - credit repair agencies
If your complaint is not about a telephone, mobile or internet service see other organisations that may be able to help you.
Here is more information about the types of complaints we deal with.